This information is a guide and should not be used as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Financial hardship

If you are a private renter experiencing financial hardship, our confidential and free financial counselling service may be able to help you. This page also links to useful help offered by other websites and services.

Free financial counselling service

Our confidential financial counselling service supports private renters in Victoria.

This free service includes assistance with any matter in relation to debt such as:

  • Rent arrears (overdue or outstanding rent) – current or previous properties
  • Utility debt in current or previous properties – electricity, gas, phone, water
  • Credit – such as loans, credit cards and consumer leases
  • Fines – at any stage
  • Complaints about your utility or credit provider

We can also assist with:

  • Analysing your current financial situation
  • Budgeting
  • Managing your debt
  • Referring you to other services that may be able to help you
  • Advice and information on credit and bankruptcy

If you would like to know more, contact us:

Other useful help

If you need information and assistance, these other websites, services and programs may be able to help you.

National Debt Helpline
No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS)
Centrelink Rent Assistance payments
Rent Assist bond loans
Utility relief grants
Housing Establishment Fund
Private Rental Assistance Program (PRAP)

Related page

Overdue rent

Was this page helpful?

Cookies and Privacy:This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Find out more Accept