- Multiple volunteer positions available – 1-2 days a week
- Based in Melbourne’s CBD
About this role
The Tenants Victoria legal service assists renters living in private rental, public and community housing, and rooming houses and caravan park residents to maintain fair, secure, and dignified housing. We provide a rental law phone advice line, email advice, negotiation assistance, representation, and advocacy.
We currently have some law student placement vacancies. These are volunteer positions, available 1 to 2 days a week for a minimum of 12 months, with the opportunity for extension.
The main purpose of the role is to provide high-quality paralegal and administrative support to the legal services team, including providing casework support, drafting legal documents and letters, corresponding with clients, making referrals, preparing summaries, attending VCAT hearings, and more. In return, Tenants Victoria will provide you with real world training that allows you to put your legal knowledge into practice.
Our office is in Melbourne’s CBD and we have flexible working arrangements during COVID-19 restrictions.
You are undertaking your law degree, and looking for practical experience within the community legal sector, where you can make a real difference to people’s lives. You are a driven, motivated self-starter who can work collaboratively, and autonomously, as needed. You have high attention to detail, are well-organised, and can prioritise tasks.
Key to your success are your:
- Sound interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a range of people, including those experiencing hardship or disadvantage
- Ability to work autonomously when required, and to complete tasks efficiently, on time and with attention to detail
- Demonstrated capacity to balance multiple, and at times competing, priorities in a high-pressure environment
- Commitment to social justice, and an understanding of the legal issues faced by renters
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and to foster a co-operative and supportive team environment
- Strong skills in the use of Microsoft Office Software relevant to a legal practice (particularly MS Word, Excel and Outlook), and the capacity to quickly acquire competency in the use of our client database
Required qualifications and experience
- You are studying for your law degree, or studies in a relevant field
- You must be willing to undertake a Police Check and a Working with Children Check prior to your placement with us
How to apply
Please submit your resume, statement of results, and a covering letter of no more than 2 pages responding to the following:
- Why you have chosen to apply for this role
- How you satisfy the key selection criteria
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so please submit your application via email as soon as possible. Please direct applications and any queries to Georga Wootton, Renter Support Service Manager, via email to email@example.com