Make Renting Fair
The Make Renting Fair campaign founded by Tenants Victoria in 2017 advocates for the safety, stability and privacy of Victoria’s renters. Bringing together more than 10,000 individuals and 70 organisations, it helped achieve the first major changes to rental laws in 20 years.
Victoria’s new rental laws, the Residential Tenancies Amendment Act, 2018, are a credit to the campaign, the growing influence of renters and the changing nature of housing. Rather than being a temporary arrangement, renting is now a long-term or permanent form of housing for many of us.
Big reforms in the new laws include:
- abolishing ‘no reason’ notices to vacate
- introducing minimum property standards that address health and safety concerns
- allowing renters to undertake some minor modifications
- making it easier to rent with pets
- new protections for victims of family violence
When the laws are fully implemented, the 600,000-plus households in Victoria in rented homes will have the strongest protections in the country.
Tenants Victoria’s job now is to work in partnership with the Victorian Government to bring the voices of renters into policy decisions and make sure these new laws live up to their promise.