Published: December 2021

Keep cool in summer

Old air conditioning units against blue and red graffiti background

What to do if your air conditioner breaks down

Summer is here, but even those lucky enough to be enjoying air-conditioned comfort in their homes should be prepared.

If your air-conditioning becomes faulty or ceases to work you don’t necessarily have to sweat and bear it.

Anything provided by the rental provider (landlord) in your home must be maintained, and repaired if necessary.

So, repairing and maintaining an air-conditioner in your house is the rental provider’s duty, not yours.

A failure or breakdown of air conditioning is an urgent repair under Victoria’s rental laws.

Urgent repairs need to be done as soon as possible.

The first step is to call the rental provider or real estate agent as soon you notice the problem to report the repairs needed. Then, even if it sounds like the problem will be fixed with just a call, confirm the repairs that are needed in writing. The law requires this, and it will also give you proof of when you reported the problem in case you need to take further action later.

If the rental provider or agent does not get the air conditioner fixed urgently you can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administration Tribunal (VCAT). It will hear your application within 2 business days.

For more detailed information, including all the steps for arranging for urgent repairs, see our page  Repairs and maintenance.

Note: This information is a guide and should not be used as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Was this page helpful?

Cookies and Privacy:This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Find out more Accept