Support for international students

International students living in rooming or share houses can seek help from our Outreach Worker. The confidential service is available in person or by telephone and interpreters are available.

About our International Student Tenancy Outreach Program

Tenants Victoria conducts a support service for international students living in rooming houses or similar accommodation such as share houses in the north west region of Melbourne. This service provides tailored information to help you exercise your rights as tenants, and provides referrals to other relevant support services, including legal advice.

What is a rooming house?

A rooming house is a building where one or more rooms are available to rent, and four or more people in total can occupy those rooms. If you are paying rent for a shared room in a shared house, chances are you are living in a rooming house.

Individual support for students

Our Outreach Worker, can provide free face-to-face or telephone support for you. Your support and wellbeing needs will be assessed and provide you with information that may help you decide for yourself what to do. This service can also refer you to relevant support services and if needed, to legal advice, if that is what you wish.

If English is not your preferred language

If your first language is not English, she can arrange for an interpreter and may be able to help find other support services in your own language.

Confidentiality and privacy

  • Students will not be identified in any material if they choose not to be
  • If an assessment of a student’s needs has been made, the information will be treated with confidentiality
  • Students will only be linked or referred to other services with their consent

International Student Emergency Relief Fund

Some important updates have been made to the eligibility criteria so more international students can access the fund. Are you aware of the International Student Emergency Student Emergency Relief Fund operated by Study Melbourne? Find out if you are eligible.

For service providers

Are you a service provider for international students?

You might be able to support this outreach program in one or more ways:

  • Assisting us in identifying support and wellbeing needs of international students living in rooming houses and similar accommodation
  • Establishing a referral relationship or partnership with us that will form part of the program
  • Connecting us to international students living in rooming houses and similar accommodation who might benefit from this outreach program


We want to support you. You can get in touch by entering your details via the online form here or phone us on 03 9411 1444 and ask to speak to the International Student Outreach Worker.

Program funders

The International Student Tenancy Outreach Program is supported by Study Melbourne’s International Student Welfare Program, a Victorian Government initiative.

Was this page helpful?

Cookies and Privacy:This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Find out more Accept